Where did ReMix come from?
- ReMix is the outcome of the Hidden Crisis report that was released in May 2011. The CS Mott Foundation has funded the Genesee County Coalition for Disconnected Youth since 2008. This initiative was formally known as the Out of School Youth Initiative. ReMix is a collaborative effort with a multitude of community partners i.e., all Genesee County school districts including the GISD, post-secondary education, Career Alliance; MI Works!, Mott Workforce Development, Flint Strive, Flint Housing Commission and a host of other agencies. ReMix and the Coalition is a program of Resource Genesee. ReMix is a virtual resource center for disconnected youth, that utilizes social networking and
technology based information systems to help youth navigate through barriers to Education, Employment, and Everything Else — such as housing, food, healthcare, etc.
- The official soft launch of ReMix was March 2012. Since that time, ReMix has worked with nearly a dozen youth in some capacity. ReMix is able to continue working with a youth until they have achieved a soft landing—meaning; they are now connected with the right program, agency or individual who can assist them work toward their long term and short term goals. Operation ReMix and YFG is here to help the youth of Genesee County move forward with their live in a positive way. We will help them write their story in a way that best meets their needs, fulfills their dreams, and takes them by surprise.
- ReMix offers a holistic approach that aims to help disconnected youth reconnect to society and develop into healthy, functional and self-sufficient adults. Over the summer, ReMix staff’s goal will be to develop and implement youth focused groups, which will work intensively with a group of 10-15 disconnected youth. We plan to meet once a week with them for about 5 hours for 9 weeks (mid June- mid August), which will offer a total of 45 hours of connected work.
- The purpose of the Youth Focus Groups (YFG) is to create a safe space for youth to tell their story and
begin to make the changes they feel are necessary to ReMix their story. Working with ReMix staff to
develop their stories, while dialoguing about their experiences and goals, build soft skills, will start the first phase of reconnection. We hope that by the end of the program weeks YFG members will have experiences that helped build self-esteem, reach some goals, and be on track to enter a sustainable adulthood. All youth that participate in ReMix will receive a certificate of completion and a letter of recommendation from ReMix program Director.
How old do I need to be to use this program?
- 16-24 years old
Who can use this program?
- Any resident of Genesee County can use this program if they are 16-24.
- If someone they know is 16-24
- If the agency they are from works with individuals 16-24
What does this program do?
- This program assists individuals, families and agencies, by connecting them with resources that are already in place throughout our county. This is done through remixgenesee.org and social networking sites.
I was expelled – how do I get into another school?
- ReMix can try and help you make a connection within a school district to answer that question for each individual
How many credits do I need to graduate?
- This can also change depending on the district you are currently attending
How do I get a copy of my transcript?
- Contact your school you just left and request your transcripts be sent to your new school.
What if I am 19 and have very few credits?
- There are programs available and can be discussed on a case by case bases.
- Credit Recovery
- GED classes and testing